Thursday, November 10, 2011

100 1_ : Normann, Brenna

At the beginning, roughly three years ago, I decided to pursue a Master's Degree in Library Science. I completed the program in just under two calendar years, and in the process developed a keen interest in cataloging. I spent the months of May-October in front of the computer filling out job application after job application. I applied for things I was over qualified for, and things I had absolutely no interest in doing... those are probably the reasons I received very few interviews. I was depressed, frustrated, lazy, you name it. It was becoming very clear to me that getting my M.L.S. was not the launch pad I thought it would be.

Then something happened... I got a call.
  
On Monday, November 7, I accepted the position of Cataloging Librarian at Georgetown Public Library (http://library.georgetown.org/). This is, essentially, a dream come true for me. I will be working in my hometown (one of them) and doing the one thing that most interests me as a librarian. As my (new) manager said, "It's very rare for someone to have taken 4 cataloging courses." There you have it, I'm rare. In a field of self proclaimed  nerds, I stand out. And I stand proud.

Tuesday was the first day in 6 months I didn't have to look for a job. I felt renewed. I turned off the t.v., I walked away from my computer, I cleaned things that were dirty, I cooked things I wanted to eat, and I made a list of how to spend my first paycheck(s). Last night I felt relaxed for the first time since May. Not stressed, not scared, just hopeful, happy, and ready.

November 7th began a new chapter in my life. At the ripe young age of 28, this is my first 9 to 5, my first "break room", my first hour long lunch, my first cubicle, my first experience in this working world. I will use this blog to share my experiences, questions, discoveries, or comments about this new world, and of course, how I catalog in it.   

No comments:

Post a Comment